- Make sure the lawn is neatly mowed and raked. Use an edger along the drive and sidewalks. Get rid of weeds in cracks and in gardens.
- In winter have the drive and walkways cleared of snow.
- Clean up gardens and mulch beds. Top dress mulch if necessary.
- Put away any bikes or toys, etc.
- Trim hedges and shrubs. Remove dead branches from trees.
- Keep exterior doors and entryways clean and freshly painted.
- Clean windows and screens
- Check mailbox, house numbers, door bells, hand railings and exterior lighting. Make sure all are looking good.
- Look your property over from the street. Check out siding, eave troughs and everything else you can see. Spruce up where needed.
- Remove any clutter from counters, including toasters, blenders, etc.
- Counter tops, appliances and sinks should be shiny clean.
- Thoroughly clean grout in any ceramic tile.
- Update cabinet hardware if necessary.
- Replace bath mats and shower curtains if necessary
- Shine up all surfaces – mirrors, counter, fixtures, porcelain, lighting, flooring, etc.
- Check caulking around tubs and showers. Clean and repair if necessary.
- Make sure toilet is seated securely.
- Replace all burned out lights bulbs everywhere.
- Touch up or repaint where needed.
- Remove clutter from shelves and other surfaces. Even removing a chair or side table from a small room can make that room appear larger.
- Make sure doors, cabinets and windows are in good working order.
- Thoroughly clean drapes, carpeting and furniture.
- Clean up any heavy dust or spider webs in the basement or furnace room.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Make sure your home smells pleasant and inviting. Air fresheners or candles can help. Freshly baked bread or freshly popped popcorn have attractive aromas as does cinnamon placed on tin foil and warmed in the oven right before a showing.
* Make sure valuables, especially smaller ones, are secured or removed. Also, law enforcement tells us dishonest people are primarily looking for prescription medications, fire arms, and I.D. theft information. Make sure these items are out of sight and out of reach.